Monday, July 23, 2007

Stuck Between a Double XL And A Hard Place

Last Friday I wrote briefly about being anxious to fit back in to some old clothes. Normal I wear shorts and t-shirts to work, part of the privilege of working in a creative industry, but every once and awhile I have to actually put on a dress shirt. Such was the case last Wednesday.

I started out with a dress shirt that I had purchased in January of this year when I was at my heaviest. I bought the shirt after realizing none of my clothes fit anymore, which was the original impetus for getting healthy. I was swimming in the shirt.

With great joy I grabbed a dress shirt that had been purchased a few years ago, an XL. I slipped my arms in slowly, savoring the anticipation of a wonderful new wardrobe opening before me. Unfortunately the anticipation was short lived. The shirt fit, but was noticeably snug around the middle.

My choices were look like a little kid in his daddy's clothes or look like a fat guy in clothes that should have been shelved 10 lbs ago. I chose the over-sized shirt. This is why I was in a slight funk over the 1 lb. loss on Friday. I wanted big results to offset, what I in my twisted impatience, saw as a clothing set back.

Here is the happy ending to this tale of pride and preening. Yesterday, I hit up the Target clearance rack, my home shopping turf. I grabbed a couple of XL tee shirts and a pair of Size 40 shorts to bring home and try on. Normally I wear a XXL tee shirt and a size 42 in pants. I was feeling good about the weekend and thought, what the heck lets throw caution to the wind and see what happens. In all honesty I assumed I would be bringing all of the items back.

I was pleasantly surprised to only have to bring one item back. The shorts were not, as I had feared, too small, they were too big! I ran them back on Sunday night and tried on a pair of 38s, which fit almost perfectly. A little snug in the sides but let me tell you snug has never felt so good.

I plan to give it another two weeks then I'll try slipping into a few more of those XL dress shirts again.
Tony
7/23: 257.2 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
37.2 lbs. to go

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am 16 years old and I have lost 97 pounds since January. Six months ago I was 338 pounds, wearing a 3x shirt and size 44 pants. On January 21, I decided to go on the Medifast bariatric diet. It has worked extremely well. I lost 17 pounds my first week, and I have lost 3-4 pounds a week ever since. Six months later, I now weigh 241 pounds and am wearing a size 38 (maybe 36 I have not been to the store in a month or two.)

Just like you, I am in-between a 2XL and a regular XL in shirt size. I am having the exact problem you are. The XL shirts fit well in the chest area, but it was a little too snug in the gut area. Hopefully I will be able to wear them soon, as I get in the 230's.

I hope you keep shedding the pounds and get to your goal weight. It is hard, but the payoff is worth way more than all of the trouble you will go through. Losing weight defiantly has been the best thing I have ever done; and I am glad to see another person successfully lose weight. Thank you, Tony.

Em said...

Great story from Nate! Wow! Congratulations!

Tony, you are doing fantastic!! I also slipped into a size smaller last week and it was a sweet moment.

Way to go!

Tony said...

Nate,

Your story is very inspiring, thank you for sharing! Please keep checking in. I'd love to follow your progress.

Tony