Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dump All Your Fat Friends

According to this recent study it could be dangerous to be my friend, at least for another couple of months. I found this study to be pretty ridiculous, but what I find even more ridiculous is the media hype. This was the lead story on the front page of the paper this morning.

This is pseudo, headline science. It will be talked about on Letterman and Leno for two days and then disappear, never to make a real impact on any ones life. Meanwhile, for the next two days the story will feeds the stereotype the fat people are weak willed and have no control over thier own bodies. And that is what really bugs me about this whole thing, it's just one more brick in the wall of our "don't blame me, I'm not responsible" culture.

For those of you who were spelunking or doing ostrich imitations yesterday here is the gist of the Study.

"People who notice their friend packing on pounds might want to steer clear if they value their sleek physiques."

Sorry to interrupt, but what a horrible way to start an article on supposed science. Talk about feeding our anti fat culture.

The study, published in the July 26 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, suggests that obesity is "socially contagious," as it can spread among individuals in close social circles. The likely explanation: A person's idea of what is an appropriate body size is affected by the size of his or her friends.

Conversely, the researchers found that thinness is also contagious.


Taking a look at my friends and my family, many to most of whom are at the worst mildly overweight, I'm think neither one of the above statements are true.

Here is my favorite part of the article.

"But when the person on the receiving end did not label the first person as a friend, there was no "obesity contagion" effect in the other direction. The distinct variable here is who calls whom a "friend."

In other words, if I'm fat and your not you must not really be my friend. I think this means I only have like 2 friends. All the rest of you skinny, so-called friends, I'm not talking to you until you start packing on some pounds. ..or I lose another 30.

Tony
7/25: 257.2 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
37.2 lbs. to go

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone wrote that article. My guess this week is 2.3 lbs. Keep up the good work.
love,
Evan

apt said...

HA! I started reading that article, rolled my eyes, and shut the window to go to something else.
Tony, I got here from Em's blog. I'm enjoying popping in and out of here. Great job on the losses. After dipping my toes for years, I've just jumped into the pool of commitment to lose weight myself. From here on out, your blog is like a toy to keep the pool interesting and fun. Thanks.