Monday, November 26, 2007

Getting Back on Track

We had a lovely Holiday trip to Iowa for Thanksgiving , although I am very glad to be home sleeping in my own bed. Sadly the wonderful trip was not so wonderful on my waistline.

First the good things:
1. I worked out twice while on "vacation". I ran 3.1 miles on Thanksgiving and thanks to a little prodding from my sister-in-law and her dog, I posted my best time yet! I also got in some strength training on Saturday morning.

2. I didn't spend much time eating when no one else was eating. No binges, no sneaking midnight snacks, no hiding food.

3. Despite my best efforts, we avoided all the wonderful Ice Cream shops in Bettendorf, Iowa... and there are some amazing Ice Cream shops in Bettendorf, Iowa!

Now for the bad news!

I gained 5 pounds since my weigh-in last Wednesday. Some of this I am sure is simple day to day fluctuation, some of it is due to the fried chicken I had for dinner last night, but most of it is from throwing away the calorie counter and eating whatever I wanted for the last 5 days.

I wouldn't say that I went crazy and gorged myself at every meal, but I probably ate the most of everyone at the table at every meal. And I had a lot of seconds.

I am not ashamed or disappointed or upset. I gave myself a free pass for the week and I used it to my full advantage. Now it is time to get back on track! Today I start tracking calories again. And I will hit the gym with renewed vigor.

Here is the other positive. I had been back sliding on my snacking over the last few weeks. Now that I have satiated that craving, I feel a renewed energy for eating healthier again.

In some ways taking a week off may help me get back that passion that I felt when I first started this journey.

Not that I am trying to justify!

Tony
11/21: 221 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
1 lbs. to go

p.s This mornings weigh-in was not "an official weigh-in", thus no change to the sign off until Friday.

No comments: