Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Do You Think I'm Sexy?

I found this in my Men's Health Magazine.

"A fat belly makes you a bigger man - and less of a man, says a new study in the Journal Of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. When researchers studied 584 men for almost 20 years they found that a 4-point increase in body mass index accelerates your natural decline in testosterone by 10 years. This corresponds to a gain of 30 lbs. for a 5'10 man. "
-Men's Health August 2007, pg. 50


I am 5'11' and still 60lbs. overweight. Which means I have the testosterone of a 55 year old man. Add the extra 40 lbs. I was carrying in January and I had the testosterone of a 70 Year old man.

Hmmmm, I wonder if you get the testosterone back as you lose the weight or if it is gone for ever like youth and innocence and my copy of the first Wallflowers CD that mysteriously disappeared. The one before the band sold out and became crappy.


According to Wikipedia,
"Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. It is the principal male sex hormone and an anabolic steroid. Testosterone plays key roles in health and well-being. Examples include enhanced libido, energy, immune function, and protection against osteoporosis."

Tony
8/14: 245.4 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
25.4 lbs. to go

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't know what to say. Did you find the answer to whether your testosterone will come back?
Will there be more grandchildren for us? I think I'll stop there.
Love Mom

Em said...

I am laughing out loud at your mom's response!!

She sounds like my parents...they just aren't happy with my niece and one on the way. They always need more!! AHHH!! Either that, or it's torturing me that they like best?

ElleTeeJay said...

Did you know that testosterone is what causes men to lose their hair? Less testosterone = more hair. You know me...always looking for a silver lining...

Dear Tony's Mom...I think you should look to your other child if you are hoping for more grandchildren any time soon...unless we're all moving in with you. :)

Nato said...

Gotta admit Tony, this topic was well.. a whole new level of openness! Especially knowing your mom would read it! (Hi Sandy! *waves*)

I never get too wound up about staying too much like a 20 something body.. I always picture silver back gorillas. (and animals never seem to have too much trouble over-eating or extra helpings of dessert) They are both pretty damn stud-ly, and yet have a pretty big gut and well.. human-like male pattern hair.. (lots everywhere compared to the head) ok so not so good explanation.. hopefully you understand my analogy.

Quiting while I'm behind.

~Nato

Anonymous said...

I think there will be a weight loss. 1.8 lbs. You are doing great - hang in there and thanks for the Banana bread recipe I will be giving that a try.

Love Sue