Monday, July 28, 2008

New Strategy

It was a great training weekend...not such a good eating weekend.

I biked more than 20 miles on Friday with my ride back and forth to work. It helped that I got lost both ways. Don't ask how, I'm still not sure myself. I did a 3.8 mile run on Saturday and a split brick on Sunday. The split brick was based on a suggestion from one of my triathlete co-workers. I bike for 15 minutes, ran for 15 minutes, biked for another 15 minutes then ran for another 15 minutes. I was feeling pretty good until I went out for my run today. About a mile in today my legs started feeling like lead. I think it's a good thing I am taking tomorrow off.

Despite all that training I still gained weight over the weekend.

It got me thinking about how I am going to make this commitment to continued weight loss work.

Here's what I realized.

My eating habits have changed but so has my lifestyle. I am eating much better then I ever have and I am eating for the right reasons. I eat because I am hunger, not because I am bored or because I have uncontrollable cravings. Only problem is I am hungry a lot.

In the last 5 months, I have greatly increased the amount and intensity of my physical activity. I have been trying to do all this training while eating like I did when I was actively working to lose weight.

Generally this means I am hungry all the time and I break down and snack on foods that are not the best for me... and because I am so hungry it tends to take more to satiate me. I'm not talking gorging myself, it's not even so much that I have been over eating, I've just been eating the wrong things.

In short, I have tried to eat better but I have not been eating smarter.

So what am I going to do to change all this. For now, I am going to plan my food each day and work to stick to it. Beyond breakfast, lunch and dinner, I will plan snacks like fruits and vegetables into my day so I don't go home ravenous and eat way to much for dinner or feel the need for a late night snack ten minutes before I go to bed.

The goal is to plan on eating more each day, but be smarter about what I eat. Pretty elementary right. Wonder why it has taken me 5 months to figure it out.

Tony
07/28 218.8 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
10.8 lbs. to go

2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

What I do is plan on eating something every 2 hours during the day.

So breakfast at 6AM, boiled egg at 8, apple at 10, lunch at 12, apple at 2, dinner about 5 and then no more food.

It works great during the week when I'm in my routine but I struggle a bit more on the weekends as I'm out and about a bit more.

tokyocowboy said...

You may be gaining muscle weight because of the intense training. You should think about monitoring your body fat to muscle ratio and see if that explains the weight. Just a thought.