Monday, July 28, 2008

Wii Fit Is Mean

Day one of "Operation Eat It" was a huge success. According to the scale I lost 4 pounds yesterday! Absolutley all of it was water weight. After a long run yesterday in the heat and humidity and then a softball game last night I don't think I have a pint of water left in my body.

There was another incident this weekend that really jump started the whole thinking about the right way to recommit myself to losing weight.

On Saturday Laura and I got together with some friends to play Wii. They had just gotten the Wii Fit and I have been very curious so I asked if we could try it out.

You know what, Wii fit is kind of a bully!

To get the whole breadth of the Wii Fit experience we set up a new character for me. The Fit has you stand on the balance pad and asks you a bunch of questions then it weighs you, calculates your BMI and creates an avatar for you.


Here's mine.



Check out the gut...
and the big butt...
and the lack of muscle tone.

All things I have been working so hard on.

My Avatar didn't start out looking like this. When I first stepped on the balance pad I had a nice normal sized Mii.

Then the Fit weighed me in at 221. Pride requires me to point out this was fully clothed, after a huge pasta diner with my cell phone, car keys and wallet in my pocket.

The fit was then nice enough to point out that my BMI put me in the obese category as it slowly morphed my Avatar from the svelte original into the chunky monkey you see above.

I didn't let the experience ruin my night but I must say I was sufficiently humbled.

All joking aside, I find the Wii Fit's snarky attitude kind of refreshing. There is no cuddling or hand holding here. No justifying. No, "you need to lose 30 pounds but that's ok because you are still beautiful on the inside". The Wii Fit is all business and now that I have gotten over my mild embarrassment of a group BMI outing, I am glad the Wii Fit was there to give me a not so gentle reminder to stand up straight and get things back on track.

You best watch out though Wii Fit, 'cause next time I come for a visit, I'll be ready for ya.

Tony
07/29 218.8 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
10.8 lbs. to go

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur Tony,

If met Wii Fit in a bar, I'd punch it's lights out!

Sarah was working out on ours one day and asked if I wanted her to log in the bike ride we took for me. (You get 'credit' on the machine for exercise outside of the game. As long as you log it the same day.)

When she logged me in, it asked "me" if "I'd noticed Sarah looking slimmer these days?" Sarah and I both chuckled (since it was only a week into owning it) and she entered "No".

Wii comes back with: "Like a dog and it's owner, your friends need you to notice and praise them." We about died! I'm glad Sarah did it and not me, I'm not sure I could have had the heart to tell her or anyone that Wii thought she was 'my dog'.

Who wrote this? Some patriarchal programmer? Randy Jackson?

I haven't logged in in like two weeks, I'm not looking forward to the tongue lashing it's gonna give me.

Anyway, Wii is pretty lippy. And I think my avatar is chubbier than yours. Though you look cute-r checking out yer bum. Cheeky monkey.

~Nato

john - from fat to fit said...

lol, I did not realize they morhped your avatar like that - very funny!

Andrew is getting fit said...

4 pounds eh...water is overrated. Just stop drinking it! :)

I love that morphing feature!