Monday, October 22, 2007

Achy Breaky Me


I thought all this working out was supposed to make me invincible to pain. After this weekend I am not convinced it is working.

I hurt!

Every muscle on, in and around my body aches.

The culprit? Yard work.

We finally had a nice day on Saturday. Sunny and rain free. It was a miracle and we took full advantage with an all out onslaught on the yard. Sunday was not nearly as nice but that didn't stop me for tackling the leftovers on the to do list.

Come Sunday night I was a goner...Or maybe that should read groaner. I am really surprised at how much I hurt. I expected the back ache, but the pain in my legs and and my arms came as a shock. I know I am using different muscles and all that but still I figured in the last 4 months that I had gotten in good enough shape to be able to do two days of yard work without passing out on the couch afterward. Guess this is just another sign of how far I have to go.

For all my complaining it was a pretty wonderful weekend. We let the girls run wild in the yard while we worked which turned Saturday into a wonderful family day.

I discovered another benefit of losing weight, you can where your wife's clothes. No not like that you perverts.

I have gotten rid of all my grubby work clothes so my wife handed me her work pants to try on since they are way to big for her after all the weight she has lost. And they fit. In fact, the are almost to big. My wardrobe has just doubled in size.

Ok, just kidding about the whole wardrobe thing...or am I.




I was contemplating skipping my run today due to aches and pain. But looking outside at another beautiful sunny day, I am thinking I might have to pop an Aleve and suck it up.
We don't have many of these days left.

Tony
10/22: 225.4 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
5.4 lbs. to go

Rake Image:© 1999-2007 Dries Buytaert

5 comments:

john - from fat to fit said...

My feet were sore this morning and Monday's is my leg workouts but I sucked it up and I am glad I did as my feet are no longer sore. I think they just needed a little stretching.

You must be in a different part of the cities than me - 100% cloudy over in Woodbury right now. Maybe some sun coming my way.

Tony said...

John,

I'm on the river, right across from downtown. Beautiful blue skies as far as the eye can see.

I am for sure going for a run.

ElleTeeJay said...

Just to help preserve your reputation, sweetie...the pants I gave Tony are actually men's pants I bought in college. Olive drab cargo pants, in fact. They looked great on him!

Em said...

Where do I find that hot dress?

And I am convinced that no matter how in shape you are, the yard work will always make you sore! I think it's the muscles you use. Bending over, (hamstrings), lower back etc...

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,
I feel your pain. We shoveled rock uphill for 1 1/2 hours on Saturday and then I mowed the lawn with a double catcher which I emptied 11 times before I just took it off and mowed without it. Today, I had my assessment with a trainer and she put me through the tread mill, crunch, and push up test. I was sore but determined. I did 49 crunches in 60 seconds and did 14 pushups (girl). I will still go for my walk today also, so good for you to go running. I'm so proud of both you and Laura for your healthy lifestyle journey. You both look wonderful.
Love Mom