Friday, October 19, 2007

The Wife Weighs In...

I had a good weigh-in this week after taking a week off. I've lost 1.6 pounds since my last weigh-in, putting me at a total loss of 30.6! Hurray!

This was a week where I started out with the feeling that I was headed off track. But thanks to a little perseverance and a lot of extra support from my darling husband (who packed my lunches, among other things), I feel like I've gotten everything back under control.

I now weigh about as much as I when I moved to Minneapolis almost eight years ago, six months before our wedding. That's amazing to me.

Here are two other things I'm proud of this week:

1. In the last 19 weeks, I have only missed two WW meetings, and both of those were due to the lack of WW meetings in Duluth on the weekends. This is a very big deal to me. In the past, felt as though my week hadn't gone as well as I would have liked, I would just skip my meeting, which would lead to me going even farther off track, which would lead me to skipping another meeting, and so on, and so on, etc., etc. In fact, in the past, missing one meeting for any reason would be enough for me to begin playing hooky on a regular basis.

2. I actually got exercise in twice this week after the girls went to bed, which is a major accomplishment. Right now, I'm working to find the time to exercise at home regularly enough to justify paying for a gym membership.

Here's the deal...there was a time in my life when I went to the gym 6 times a week and I loved it. As I've lost weight, my body is remembering that feeling of working the weight machines and it's craving that feeling of power that you get from a good workout. Of course, at that time, I was without children, single, and working in retail without any other commitments. As you can imagine, I had a just a little more spare time than I do now. Finding the time to work exercise into my schedule has been very challenging.

Tony has been very successful working out at home, but that has never worked for me...too many distractions. Plus, I never really feel like I can go "all out" at home like I can in a gym setting...if that makes any sense.

So...here I am. If I am going to make a financial commitment as big as a gym membership, I want to be sure that I can make the time commitment, too. That means hitting the gym and being back home in time for Tony and I to get ourselves ready and out the door for work (while taking care of the two little people who live with us), or going to the gym after the girls go to bed. Neither of these times are exactly ideal, but they are my only options.

Who knows if I can make it work, but I'm going to give it the old college try this month. Wish me luck.

Have a super weekend, everyone!
Laura

10/05/2007: 199.4 pounds
10/19/2007: 197.8 pounds (a loss of 1.6 pounds)
Total loss: 30.6 pounds

Mini-goal: 30 pounds lost by 10/15/2007; ACHIEVED!
(a week late, but who's counting, right?)

Next mini-goal: 185 pounds by December 21
9 weeks and 12.8 pounds to go!
(can you believe there are only 9 weeks until Christmas?)

7 comments:

Tony said...

Congratulations Sweetie. I am very proud of you and you are looking great.

Em said...

Way to go, Laura!

I will tell you, I get my gym membership for free. Otherwise, I would be working out at home like I used to do. I think you can do it. In fact, I know you can. Once you make that $$ commitment to the gym, it sort of holds you to it, ya' know?

Keep up the good work!

Emily

Tony said...

Em,
How do you get a free gym membership? I want in on that racket.

Anonymous said...

Great success Laura!! Keep up the good work and excerise.
Dad (Bob)Just so you know which Dad.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your loss! Glad you've been able to keep with the meetings. When I was losing, I only missed 2 as well. They were At Work meetings, and I was out for one, the other was a holiday.

Keep up the great work!

Laura N said...

Great job on the loss! I agree about working out at the gym vs. home. I just can't get the same vibe going at home. Maybe if we were wealthy and had a room with hardwood floors and walls lined with mirrors and filled with gym equipment, then I could work out at home. But in my bedroom or family room? Just ain't gonna happen.

We have the best gym here. It's expensive, but totally worth it. The child care is top notch--the turn over rate of the care givers is almost zero and the facility is wonderful (well, it was until the fire at the gym about 6 weeks ago, and now it's in a small room at the temp. facility, but it's only temporary and the renovated Kid's Club will probably be awesome). Anywhoo, hope your gym membership works out and keep that dedication going!!

Em said...

Tony, I am lucky to have a Dad who is a doctor. His partnership dropped a bunch of cash on the local gym and that equals a free gym membership for all the families, and employees of the office! I am lucky to be his daughter :o)