Monday, July 16, 2007

Ruby Tuesdays or Fat Tuesdays?

My lovely wife had to work most of this weekend so I played Mister Mom all day on Saturday. As part of our adventure the girls and I had lunch at Ruby Tuesdays. It was my first time taking the girls to a restaurant on my own and the whole experience went surprisingly smooth... unless you happened to be the poor busboy who had to clean up the mess we left behind. Sorry poor busboy.

As you can imagine I didn't have a lot of time to study the menu, so I quickly ordered what seemed to be the safest thing, a buffalo chicken sandwich. Yes, I know I could have done the salad bar, but that would have required me to leave my girls unattended for a few minutes and there was no guarantee that the patrons around us would have come out of that unsupervised period without mashed potatoes in their hair. The sandwich was breaded, which didn't really register with me when I noticed it on the menu. It was a fact that I really shouldn't have overlooked.

When I totaled up my calories for the day I checked Ruby Tuesdays website for the nutritional info. I was shocked by what I found. My sandwich had 1041 Calories and 71 Grams of Fat. Holy Hannah! That is nearly 3/4 of my daily caloric intake in one sandwich. Upon further inspection I noticed that over half the items on the Ruby Tuesdays menu were over 1000 calories.

In the grand scheme of things the calories are not a huge disaster. I am sure I will even the calories out this week and I know that it is just fine to eat a little crazy every once and a while. But, it was shocking to me to realize how blind I have been to what I was eating, even now that I am watching so closely. Lesson learned.

A quick update on Recipe Wednesday.


I had a pitcher of Summer Sangria waiting when my lovely wife got home from her hard day of work on Saturday. It was another huge hit!

I also made Almond Blueberry Coffee Cake on Sunday morning. Now that is some good stuff. If you have not tried it, make some this weekend. Yum, Yum, Yum! Here is what the kitchen looked like after I was done cooking. Keen eyed observes will note the sangria glasses from the night before amongst the wreckage! Well worth the mess though!

Tony
7/16: 258.4 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
38.4 lbs. to go

1 comment:

ElleTeeJay said...

Both the sangria and the coffee cake were highly appreciated this weekend...they were fantastic! I have such a nice Tony.