Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Great Race


...and a new Personal Record!


What a great day for a race. We have had some really good luck this summer with race day weather.

This race was billed as a family friendly race and the organizers went all out to hold to that. There was face painting, cake...

and even a bouncy house. It was a great day for the whole family.

Keep this one in mind for next summer if you are looking for your own 5K. You can find out all the details on Lauren's Run For A Reason here. A great event for a great cause.

And all the runners had a great race...including one surprise runner...but I'll let her tell her own story.

My sister finished the race looking strong and had a great time, crossing the finish in 36 minutes.

My brother-in-law flew ahead of all of us to finish in under 24 minutes!

And I had a new personal best time. I beat my previous 5K best by 32 seconds. My official time was 26:23, but by my watch it was 26:20!

And that new PR was set on the worlds hilliest 5K course* the day after I was attacked by a goat!

That's right attacked by a goat.

We took the girls to the Zoo on Saturday and I got caught in the middle of a goat feeding frenzy inside the petting Zoo.

While I was holding my daughter Ellie, a giant goat jumped up onto my chest to get at the food I was holding. The goat knocked me backwards into a little kid (real kid, not goat kid) which caused me to trip and go down hard against the fence.

Thank goodness Ellie was OK.

I got some pretty good cuts on my knee, elbow and hand...and ended up with one black-n-blue and very sore big toe. All of which makes my new personal 5K record even more impressive...at least in my mind.

All-in-all a pretty eventful weekend!

Tony
08/11 216 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
8 lbs. to go

*Technically, I am sure this course was not the hilliest 5K course in the world...although it was extremely hilly...By far the hilliest 5K I have ever run.

The hilliest race course in the world may be the The Volcano Challenge in New Zealand in which racers are required to run up to the top of 5 of Auckland’s Volcanoes.

My friend Andrew did the race this weekend and I am seriously jealous...not so much of the running up hills but of the breathtaking views he had along the way. Check out his race report.

2 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

That's a great time and I almost fell off my chair laughing about the goat story!

Thanks for the links Tony. Much appreciated.

Tony said...

The looks on peoples faces when I tell them I was attacked by a goat all most back the cuts and bruises worth it...all most.