Monday, August 11, 2008

10K Training Revise

In light of my new 5K PR time I have tweaked my 10K training to be just a little more aggressive.

Click to see a larger version.


It makes me a little leery that all the runs are at such a slow pace. But, I figure Runners World is the expert, so for the next 9 weeks I will trust in their expertise.

I mean really. Who has the better insight into training, a magazine that has been the be-all-end-all running authority for 20 years* or some guy who just started running a year ago?

I'm going with the magazine on this one.

Tony
08/11 216 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
8 lbs. to go

* I have to confess I don't know much about Runners World magazine. I made up the whole
been around for 20 years part just to illustrate my point. I didn't want any one going all James Fry Oprah on me.**

**I promise no more asterisks the rest of the week.

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

I think this is something all new runners struggle with.

Running slower makes you faster.

The reason is that you build up more blood vessels in your legs when you run slower. Then when you want to run faster (in a race) your body is more efficient and removing the waste products and getting oxygen to your muscles as there are more pipes!

That's the theory anyway. ;)*

*I'm not a doctor but I have read it in numerous running books and heard it in a podcast too, so it must be true! ;)

ElleTeeJay said...

That's good info, Andrew! Thanks!

Tony said...

See this is what I'm talking about. Always trust the experts...unless they're government experts.

Thanks Andrew, that is just the explanation I was looking for and too lazy to go find!

Tony said...

P.S. Extra points to Andrew for his witty * use.

It's not often you get the chance to use the * wittily.