Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So What's Next? Part 2

So far this week my commitment to getting my weight loss back on track has not gone so well. I know I just made the commitment yesterday... but... well this may be harder than I thought. I am still committed though. I just have to get back in the grove and that may take a few days or weeks...hopefully days. It's all about thinking about my actions and exercising some will power... and avoiding meetings with food...lots and lots of food.

Enough on that.

On to what's next.

This is the exciting stuff you have all been waiting to hear. What is my next challenge going to be.

I have conquered the 5K.

I have mastered the Triathlon.

So what feat will I attempt next.

How about another Triathlon. For starters.

On Monday I singed up for the Brewhouse Triathlon in Duluth. The race is on August 3rd. A couple of the people I work with who each did one triathlon have been telling me how silly it is to train so hard and only do it once. It is something they very much regret. And I for one think they are right...besides you get a really cool pint glass at this race.

The Brewhouse race is slightly longer than last weekends race. 1/3 Mile Swim, 10.3 Mile Bike and a 2.5 Mile Run.

After that I will be doing Lauren's Run For a Reason! in Maple Grove. A 5K to benefit the Sudden Unexplained Death In Childhood Program. That is the following weekend on August 10th.

This will be my sisters first 5K race and I figured since I want to be there to support her, I might as well run the race as well.

Beyond that I hope to get one or two more races in this fall including the James Page Blubber Run 5K in October, which follows almost the exact same course I run here at work.

But wait there is more. I am officially announcing for the first time (except to my Lovely Wife) that I am committed to doing a 10K race before the end of the year.

Nike has this thing going on on August 31, called the Human Race 10K. It's a total gimmick to sell more Nike Pus thingies... but I am a sucker for a gimmick, so I'll be doing it.

They have like 25 official races around the world and then everyone else is supposed to run with their Nike Plus and upload their time to the website. A friend of mine said he would borrow me his Nike Plus, so I figure I will give it a try.

It won't be my official 10K, it will be a low key, no pressure trial run.

Right now I am tentatively planing on making my first 10K the Autumn Woods Classic on October 11th in Maple Grove. I say tentatively based on social calender and training schedule. But that is what I am shooting for.

There will for sure be more Triathlons in my future... whether I try for a long course remains to be seen.

I am also toying with the idea of trying a half marathon, but I am not ready to commit to that yet either. Both the long course tri and the half marathon will take more training time, time I am not sure I have right now.

I am itching to push myself though, both for the motivation to keep working out and to see just what I am capable of.

More on all of this as the time for each event draws closer.

Tony

3 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

These events sound good to me!

Anonymous said...

Maple Lake has a 10K on 8/16
dad

Tony said...

Dad,

I thought about that, but I don't think I will be ready by then.

I think it is a little ambitious to stretch my running from 4miles to six in just 3 weeks.

I'd like to do that race next year though.