Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Another Milestone

Ha-Ha! Get it ? It's a pun. "Milestone" and this post is about me running.

Sorry you don't know what this post is about yet do you?

I RAN FOR 3.1 MILES YESTERDAY.


I know I am shouting. I'd do it from the roof top if they hadn't barred the door after that unfortunate naked bird watching incident this summer.

I made my first ever 5K yesterday. Way ahead of schedule. I guess I am trying to cram all the victories in before the end of the year.

I still can't believe it. I ran for 34 minutes straight...without even stopping once. It may not seem like a big deal, but to me it's like I've accomplished the impossible dream. This is my Everest.

Now I have to build up to running 5K consistently and work on upping the speed a little. All in good time.

Another nice thing happened yesterday. A friend gave me a gift to celebrate reaching my goal. I hope she knows what a wonderful gift it was. It was the perfect thing at the perfect time.

I am on a precipice here. This week is going to be a busy one, full of lots of temptations. All ready our office is stuffed to the rafters with holiday gifts from clients and vendors. All most all of them involve popcorn or chocolate or both. Plus I am going to have to go out of my way to get 3 of my workouts in this week, a situation that would make it very easy for me to skip working out all together.

But thanks to a simple act of kindness I'm not worried anymore about getting through the week. It was a reaffirmation of what I have worked so hard to accomplish and it made me realize how much I don't want to disappoint all the friends that have come along for this ride... and how much I don't want to disappoint myself.

That simple act of kindness was the inspiration I needed to push through to 3.1 miles yesterday and to push away handfuls of popcorn and chocolate and cookies.

I plan to be a very good boy this week. I want next Friday to be as happy as this past Friday was. Heck I want the rest of my life to that happy!

Tony
12/11: 218.4lbs
Goal: 220 lbs. ACCOMPLISHED
NEW GOAL: 214
4.4 lbs. to go

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we ever going to learn what the gift was and who it was from?

john - from fat to fit said...

Way to go Tony, that is a great achievement! I'm still working on the 1.0 mile milestone myself...