Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My 5k Plan or How I Learned To Run 5,000 Miles


Wait a minute. 5K doesn't stand for 5,000 miles. Well then I can do this thing no problem.

Yup I'm joining the ranks of the 5k hopefuls.

Seems like everybody is jumping on the Couch to 5k bandwagon lately, including me. It's easy to see why. For those of us on a healthy lifestyle journey, being able to run 3.1 miles is a symbol that we are doing more than just losing weight. For me it will be proof that I have truly changed my life around.

I decided a while ago that one of my goals was going to be to run a 5k with my dad someday. I didn't make it public because I wasn't sure how realistic of a goal it was. Once I finally brought the idea up to my Dad it turns out he had been thinking the same thing. He asked me to run the Maple Lake St. Patrick's Day race with him. Maple Lake is a small little town in Western Minnesota where my parents have their retirement home. It's a enclave of Irish pride!

As I have said before, my dad is kind of an exercise nut. For some reason it is not a gene that I inherited from him. Although, looking at it now, I am starting to realize just how much of our bonding moments growing up centered around some kind of physical activity. My Dad and I have always enjoyed doing things together like snow skiing, water skiing, softball. Things I am glad we can share again and the kind of things I hope to share with my daughters.


I have decide to finally announce my 5k plans because something major happened yesterday.

I ran a mile... for the first time in my life!


Even in high school when they made us run a mile I had to walk at least a quarter of the way.

This is a major break through for me. And gives me hope that I may actually be able to do this. I ran the mile yesterday in just under 9 minutes. And I managed to finish my 3 mile outing in 32 minutes. Almost 5 minutes off my previous best time. Now my goal is to continue building up my stamina until I can run the whole 3 miles.

Until yesterday, I had very little faith that I would be able to work up to a three mile run by March. Now I know it will be a challenge, but one that I have at least even odds of being able to accomplish.


I have been thinking lately about why I decided to try this. I am doing it because I want to share the bonding experience with my Dad. I am doing it because I want him to be proud of me. I know he already is proud of me, but I want to prove to him that I can do this. And I am doing it for myself. To prove to me that I can do this. Here's hoping I am right.

Tony
10/9: 228.6 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
8.6 lbs. to go

6 comments:

john - from fat to fit said...

Based on those times you could run a 5k right now and probably be in the middle of the pack. 32 minutes is pretty darned good already. I haven't locked one in yet because I don't want to committ until I can run 3.1 miles and that will still be awhile, but I'm hoping that I'll be ready around the same time. Good luck!

Em said...

Good for you Tony! I think you will find that the C25K program makes it easy. I have never been a runner until now.

Good luck!

ElleTeeJay said...

I'm behind you every step of the way, sweetie! Well, not literally yet...just figuratively. I don't think walking two miles in 30 minutes qualifies me quite yet.

Tony said...

John,

I pretty proud of that time so far...but only half of it was running. Right now the goal is more than just finishing the race. I want to make sure I can run the whole way.

Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC! If you've run your first mile, you should know that there is a very good chance you will never get running out of your system now. Especially since you seem to like a good challenge. And I think John is right--you could probably do a 5K right now. You'll be flying by March. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

Tony you are right, I have always been proud to have you as my son. I will also be thrilled to run the 5K with you. We do not have to win the race, just finish it. You are doing great with your running. It takes time to build up the miles and you are well on your way.
DAD