Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Diet Foods" I'm Digging - Recipe Wensday

On Sunday, after buying my new "Butt Hugger Jeans", my lovely wife and I took the girls to the '50's Grill for lunch. The '50's Grill is everything the name implies. Waitresses in poodle skirts and bobby socks, a juke box at the front door, huge burgers and amazing malts.

I was feeling good after having dropped another pant size and was planing on treating myself to a big juicy burger and a heaping plate of '5o's fries. Then I noticed a Bison Burger on the menu. I have no clue what compelled me to order it.

Maybe it was a subconscious sense of guilt for having already ordered a big 'ol butterscotch malt or maybe it was my tummy rebelling against all that fat and grease. Whatever the reason I ordered the Bison Burger with Barbecue Sauce and loved it!

I think Bison meat may just replace Turkey Burgers on my list of healthier substitutes.

It got me thinking about some of the other "Diet Foods" that I have been enjoying lately. So I decided to replace Recipe Wensday with a run down of some of my favorite healthier alternatives.

I know that not all these foods would be considered healthy... but trust me the foods I would be eating instead are way worse than anything on this list. Best of all, most of the things on this list taste as good or better than the things they are replacing.

1. Klondike Slim a Bear 100 Calorie Bar
Like many of the things on this list, my lovely wife deserves all the credit for discovering these yummy little treats!



2. Weight Watchers GIANT Chocolate Cookies & Cream Bar:
These babies taste just as good as any Ice Cream bar you'll find. And they are filling and oh so satisfying. These and the Slim a Bear have easily replaced the giant cereal bowl full of ice cream that I would eat nearly every night before bed.


3. Weight Watchers Snack Cakes
I was amazed at how moist and full of flavor these little snack cakes are. They are small, but they are a great way to curb a chocolate craving.




4. Flat Out Bread:
This has become a staple at our house. Flat Out Pizzas, Flat Out Buffalo Chicken Wraps, Flat Out Quesadillas. You name it, it can be made from Flat Out!









5. Natural Cheeto's:
These aren't really a low calorie alternative, but they are lighter than the full fat potato chips and they have a great flavor that I have come to love.











6.Edy's Loaded Frozen Dairy Dessert:
I have not tried this yet and I have no clue how it can be considered a low calorie substitute but I can't wait to find out. According to Hungry Girl it deserves to be on this list.








7. Goldfish Crackers:
These are my go to snack. When I have a craving that fruit or gum just won't kill,I grab a handful of cheesy goodness and put my tummy at ease. 52 Fish to a serving means I feel like I am getting a substantial snack.


What are your favorite "diet foods". Leave a comment and let me know. I'm always looking for new things to substitute.


Tony
10/10: 228.6 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
8.6 lbs. to go

6 comments:

Em said...

Tony, have you tried the Skinny Cow ice cream cones? (Laura, they are 3 points and worth every one) Caramel/Vanilla is the best one.

Flat out pizzas are popular in our house...

If I need a frozen meal (I know we aren't talking about that, but oh well!) Lean Cuisine's have no trans fats, or high fructose corn syrup (for the most part at least!). I love the Santa Fe Rice and Beans inside a Flat Out wrap.

Of course, you know about my obsession with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni.

I love to use ground chicken breast. It is my new found item to cook with...even better than ground turkey. It can be used in most red meat dishes and it's so much leaner.

Fiber One bars make a great replacement for a chocolate craving.

2% cheese is just as good as the full fat stuff. I have been using that a lot as a substitute for regular cheese.

And last but not least, I have to rave about PB2....I love this stuff, in fact, I might send you some to try. It is powdered peanut butter that you mix with water and it's divine. Only 55 calories and 3 grams of fat per 2 Tbsp. I cook with it and eat it almost every day!

Sorry for the long list...I couldn't resist obliging you with all my favorites.

ElleTeeJay said...

Em, I must agree...the Fiber One bars ROCK! I'll have to check out those ice cream cones next time I hit the grocery store...they sound great!

Tony covered a lot of my crutches, but here I go...

SOUP...I eat a lot of it. It's fast, hot, and filling.

If I've hit the hunger wall in the afternoon at work, I go for a couple of Wasa light rye crackers (they are about the size of a full graham creacker) and a wedge of light Laughing Cow spreadable cheese. Whole snack? 2 points.

God bless Flat-Out...I could eat Flat-Out pizzas with fresh tomato every day. I'll have to try the 2% cheese...low-fat cheese usually scares me.

Tony said...

Powdered peanut butter!!!!
I am very, very afraid.

Em said...

Ok, I am sending some PB2 to you! You will love it.

And Laura...I always used to eat the Light Rye and I just tried the Multigrain Wasa with Garlic and Herb Laughing Cow...they are crunchier than the light rye, but oh so good. And less calories!! Woo!

Anonymous said...

New flat-out sandwich idea! Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on the flat-out. Then add thinly sliced apples. Sprinkle some slivered almonds on top and roll it up. It is a new favorite at our house.

Ali & Mike

Tony said...

That Sound really good! Yummm