Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Recipe Wednesday - Apple Crisp with Macadamia Nuts

This week has gotten away from me. We had a busy weekend at home with the girls, a first in a long time. Then, I worked a 13 hour day on Monday. In all the craziness I have neglected to keep track of my calories. So I have decide to take a chance and go free. No calorie tracking for a whole 7 days. We'll see what happens.

So far, I have been pretty good. I had a piece of chocolate cake on Friday for a co-workers birthday and a little too much pizza on Monday night courtesy of the boss trying to make up for the late night. Other than that, I think I have been on track. My workouts are staying steady, so it should be a normal week. Hopefully there will be a loss on Friday.

As part of our busy weekend, we took the girls to the Apple Orchard on Saturday. They loved playing in the hay, petting the goats and picking apples right off the tree. They have been telling anyone who will listen all about it for the last 4 days.

Since our Apple Orchard adventure, my lovely wife has been jonesing for some hot and gooey apple crisp. That is the inspiration for this weeks recipe.

Apple Crisp with Macadamia Nuts


Ingredients
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2 tablespoons chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces
5 cups thinly sliced peeled Rome apple
Vegetable cooking spray
2 tablespoons apricot preserves

Preparation

1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal; set aside.

2. Place apple slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray; drop apricot preserves by teaspoonfuls onto apple slices, and sprinkle evenly with the flour mixture. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 216(30% from fat); FAT 7.3g (sat 1.3g,mono 3.8g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 17mg; SODIUM 62mg; FIBER 2.7g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 39.2g

Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light Magazine.

Tony
9/26: 234.2 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
14.2 lbs. to go

1 comment:

NJenn said...

I just tried this last night and my kids loved it. I added some cinammon to make it a little sweeter and they loved the twist it brought. I look forward to more of your recipes. Happy cooking!