Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fat Guy Recomendations

Technically this should be called "Recommendations from an Almost Formerly Fat Guy".

I have two recommendations from this weekend.

Recomendation #1:
See the movie I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With


It's written by, directed by and starring Jeff Garlin who is probably most famous for his role on Curb Your Enthusiasm or his co-starring role in Daddy Daycare for those of you without HBO.

It is very rare to see a love story with an overweight guy as the lead love interest. It's even rarer for that overweight guys struggle with weight to be a central part of the story. Most rare of all is this movie which handles it all with great care and affection.

Instead of turning the movie into a bunch of fat guy jokes and put down humor, Jeff Garlin shows us a real guy, having a real struggle with where his life is headed... and being overweight is a part of that struggle.

You can tell that Jeff Garlin has been there. In the opening scene we see him sitting on the hood of his car in the parking lot of a convenience store eating Ding Dongs and chocolate pudding. He's eating in the parking lot to hide his eating from his mom. It's a moment that was very poignant to me. It's a moment I have lived hundreds of times.

The movie is well written. It's endearing, it's funny, it's a real joy and it is full of actors you know you know even if you can't remember their names. Sadly these are the actors who should be household names.

I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With,
is in limited release in art house theaters, but it is also available on demand from Comcast and some other cable providers. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Recommendation #2:
Steve and Barry's.
Steve and Barry's is best described as Old Navy meets Wal-Mart, but with a lot more style .

One of the great things about our weight loss journey is going through the closet and getting rid of all those "fat clothes". Unfortunately it starts adding up when you have to replace all those "fat clothes". It adds up even more when you have to do it again 5 months later because the new clothes you bought have become "fat clothes" as well.

After my closet purge last month I was left with 1 pair of jeans. I hit the local outlet mall two weekends ago and spent nearly a hundred bucks on three pair of jeans that hopefully will not fit me come Christmas time. A lot of money for some pants that may only last 4 months.

Then, I rediscovered Steve and Barry's. They have some great, stylish clothes for dirt cheap prices. Jeans were on sale for $7.99!!!!

The clothes might not be the best quality, but for those of us who are truly dedicated to shedding the pounds, they only need to last a few months. So wait until you meet your final goal weight to hit the expensive department stores and head over to Steve and Barry's for some closet restocking.

Tony
9/25: 234.2 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
14.2 lbs. to go

6 comments:

ElleTeeJay said...

Steve and Barry's Disclaimer for the ladies...Tony had a fantastic Steve and Barry's experience over the weekend. I, however, did not.

As much as they say the SJP "Bitten" line is for sizes 2 to 22...I found nothing over a size 16. And, that size 16 was not cut for curvy ladies...I wear a size 16 pant at Lane Bryant, but couldn't wear a size 20 jean at S&B's. Even the flowy stuff was cut for a long and narrow torso, something I was not gifted with. I bought a few sweaters, but didn't have the amazing luck my darling husband did.

I think I'm going to wait until I'm squarely out of the plus-size section before giving S&B's another go.

Anonymous said...

To follow up on Laura's Bitten review - I like the "boyfriend" style jean. It gives a little more stretch for a curvy figure, and it is only $15. But otherwise, Laura is right, the larger sizes must go quick, I couldn't even find t-shirts bigger than a medium when I was there.
- Heather

Em said...

You know about Lane Bryant and their vanity sizing don't you?? Well, the latest is that they are in blue, red and yellow and they start at a size 1 I think?? I think it's bad for LB to be doing this for the whole obesity factor. Keep an eye out for a post on this subject on my blog.

Tony, Curtis loves S&B's but it's the hats, not the clothes. He has more t-shirts and hats from that place!! I will have to snag a pair of jeans for him on our next trip.

Oh and the cheese movie is on the DVR. I passed right by it and watched Breach instead (good movie) bit I think we will watch this one tonight.

E

ElleTeeJay said...

Em,

Have I heard about the new sizing? I am wearing red size 2 in a stretch bootcut right now. Lane Bryant has been my main clothing for a LONG time. I really like them...the fit seems to be much better than in the past.

I haven't found that my size varies much from store to store. The difference for me is usually in whether I'm looking at a misses' size or a women's size.

I'm looking forward to your post about LB. LB and I have a very long, in-depth, sick, twisted, love-hate relationship.

I've often said that I don't know what I'll do when I lose enough weight that I don't have to shop plus-size anymore...I think I'll go into shock because I'm so overwhelmed by multitude of choices.

Tony said...

I am afraid of the shock our bank account suffer when that day comes.

Only kidding.

It felt like it was getting a little chicky in here. Had to testosterone it up.

Em said...

ha!!!

Yes, Laura, my relationship is very similar. I don't understand the lower sizing though. I am putting my thoughts together on exactly why.

And I had to come over here and say, AMEN FOR THE SISTAS! (estrogen, right back at ya' Tony!)