Monday, August 27, 2007

Kicking It with Cholesterol

I finally got the results of my Cholesterol check back last week. I have been waiting to post my results until I could compare them to the results from a test I had done a few years ago. Unfortunately, I have changed doctors and clinics a few times since then and it has taken me a week just to track down where I had the test done. The results are locked away in a musty old basement somewhere and should arrive in a week or two. When they do we'll have a fun compare and contrast.

Some of you may be wondering why at 33 I've already had two cholesterol checks. I have a history of high cholesterol in my family that puts me at a higher risk for heart problems. Coupled with my obesity and lack of exercise, I would say I am a prime candidate for early cholesterol checks.

Here are my most current results.

Total Cholesterol: 176
Triglycerides: 154
Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 6.5
HDL Cholesterol: 27
LDL Cholesterol: 118


Those of you who know a thing or two about cholesterol can stop reading right here and judge for yourself. For the rest of you, here is your Cholesterol Primer.


HDL:

High-density lipoprotein, or HDL, is known as “good” cholesterol because high levels of HDL seem to protect against heart attack. Low levels of HDL also increase the risk of heart disease. Medical experts think that HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body.

HDL is my biggest problem. My HDL levels should be between 40 and 60. Mine are currently at 27. That's way low!

LDL:

Low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, is known as “bad” cholesterol. When too much LDL (bad) cholesterol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the inner walls of the arteries that feed the heart and brain. Together with other substances, it can form plaque, a thick, hard deposit that can narrow the arteries and make them less flexible. This condition is known as atherosclerosis. If a clot forms and blocks a narrowed artery, heart attack or stroke can result.

My LDL is considered Near Optimal/ Above Optimal. While my LDL is a little high, it would seem that I have not (as of yet) manifested the hereditary high LDL cholesterol that runs in my family.


According to the American Hart Association my risk of having a cardiac event in the next 10 years is less than 1%. Yeah for me!

The best thing for me to to get my HDL up is to keep doing exactly what I am doing.. Working out and losing weight. Those are the two biggest factors in controlling HDL Cholesterol. I have also started taking a daily vitamin supplement and a daily fish oil supplement. My doctor said the fish oil might be a good idea since I never eat sea food.

Now if only I can remember to take the pills. I started on Saturday, forgot to take them yesterday and this morning! I'll have to figure out a system.

Tony
8/27: 239.8 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
19.8 lbs. to go

3 comments:

Em said...

Your levels look a ton better than my husbands. His triglycerides were high and the HDL was low. Boo. But we are in the process of changing that right now. :o)

Anonymous said...

Tony my cholesterol problems did not start till I was middle to late 30s. I was always low and then 1 year it just took off. I do not know if it is an age thing or not but nothing had changed in my life style.
So get that HDL up there.
Dad

Nato said...

FYI, Flat Breads have arrived safely thanks to the efforts of Mr.Coleman.. (hehe feels weird to think lots of people call him that).

Thanks for the prize! I wish I coulda gone out golfing with you guys. But strangely enough, I actually had fun with accounting.

~Nato