Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Recipe Wednesday

I can't believe it's recipe Wednesday already. This week you get:

Two Recipes For The Price Of One


We are doing recipes for the weekend this week. I have my company summer outing tonight, so there will be no cooking until Saturday. Thursday and Friday will be needed to recover from tonight's trip aboard the infamous Love Boat.

Tonight will be my biggest healthy lifestyle challenge yet. We tend to do things up big, which means the food and the drink will be flowing freely. Hopefully I can make some smart choices tonight. My plan is to enjoy the evening without worrying about watching what I eat and drink , but at the same time acknowledge when I am full and stop eating. We will see how it works.

Without further ado, I bring you:


Recipe Wednesday


Recipe 1:
This one is for my lovely wife. She has a long, hard week ahead of her and I think she'll deserve a little treat on Sunday morning.

Almond Blueberry Coffee Cake
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup toasted almonds, crushed
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1-1/2 cups blueberries

Topping
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons almonds, chopped
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F

2. To make batter, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, whisking to mix. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, almonds, olive oil, milk, eggs and lemon juice, beating until well blended. Gradually and the flour mixture and fold in blueberries.

3. Spray a 9-inch square pan with nonfat cooking spray and spoon batter into pan.

4. To make topping, combine ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over batter.

5. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

6. Cool and serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 16 servings
Per serving: 166 calories, 3g protein, 22g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 67 mg sodium, 27 mg cholesterol


Recipe 2:
This one is for my new friend Em who has a drinking problem. It's the perfect summer sipper for those of us watching our tummy. If you are one of those Weight Watchers, it's only 2 points per glass...only 16 points per pitcher if you are mixing one up on a Friday or Saturday night.

Summer Sangria
2 cups rose wine
2 cups sugar-free lemon-lime soda
1/2 cup of brandy
1/2 cup of rum
2 apples, sliced
1/2 red grapes
1/2 cup green grapes
2 to 3 sliced limes

Mix all ingredients in a large glass pitcher. Add ice. Garnish each glass with a slice of lime.

Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 129 calories, 0 g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 0 fat, 13 mg sodium, o cholesterol

Both recipes are from Healthy Cooking Magazine

Don't forget to send me your healthy cooking recipes as well!!

Tony
7/11: 262.2 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
42.2 lbs. to go

2 comments:

Em said...

Awesome recipes! And tell that lovely wife of yours that I will try that Sangria recipe, just for her. I really, really like her thinking!! HA!

ElleTeeJay said...

Em, I have a feeling that you are my kind of gal...enjoy the sangria!