Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Slump Continues

The hitting slump is still in full effect. I was 1 for 3 at the plate last night. Fouled out twice, but that second up... that was a thing of beauty. Blasted a shot right down the 3rd base line and stretched it in to a double. It helped that the other team bobbled the ball, but it was still a good hit. Sadly we lost the game by 3 runs. Still, it was a beautiful night for ball.

Our team motto has always been, "Win or Lose The Beer Taste The Same." As you can image with a motto like that, there is a lot of revelry off the field. Last night was no exception. We were celebrating a birthday last night and the spread was magnificent. Snickers cake, brownies, Boston cream pie and almond lemon bars. I was so tempted, but then I saw my sister, who also plays on the team, sitting there with a giant bag of cut up oranges.

My sister had a baby 6 months ago and is on her own quest to get back to a healthy lifestyle. Seeing her there with that big bag of oranges was the encouragement I needed to skip the dessert buffet.

See, she knew what to expect and prepared herself by bringing along a healthy snack to keep herself from being tempted by all the sweets. It was a good lesson. Thanks Sis.

Now if my sister can figure out how to fix my swing we'd be golden. As my dad keeps telling me, I'm swinging way too fast. I need to slow down and have some patience.

I guess what is true in the batters box is true in life as well. I have to keep reminding myself it's a journey not a race.

Tony
6/12: 280 lbs.

No comments: