Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Do Think That Song Was About Me

I am vain. I am a vain person trapped in a fat mans body. I know it's a funny thing for an overweight middle aged man with no fashion sense and suspect grooming to say, but it's true.

I am just a couple of days into this new healthier lifestyle and already I am imagining myself 70 lbs. lighter. It is a trap I get caught up in every time. I want instant results. It was the same thing when I tried to learn to play guitar. I learned the D, C and A minor chords and one rhythm and that was it. Instead of learning to really play the guitar I played a bunch of three chord songs with no rhythm and pretended to play the guitar.

In the past, every time I start trying to lose weight I have fallen into the same trap. I look at my stomach in the mirror every morning to see if it looks flatter. I start weighing myself everyday. I get so caught up in the results that I stop focusing on the journey. The major draw back of which is all this dreaming of the future makes it hard to deal with the setbacks when the inevitable come.

One thing I am going to try very hard to do this time is only weigh in on Fridays. The other six days of the week I will lock the scale in the closet and give my wife the key. Hopefully this will offset some of the daily ups and downs and help me concentrate more on living a healthy life style and less on just losing the weight.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow. I have something fun and exciting planned.

Same fat time, same fat channel.

Tony
6/13: 280 lbs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,
I will try this one more time and see if I can make it work.
I am so proud of you. I also cried when I read your first blog. Like Dad, I am concerned about your health not your weight. We don't have a very good family history with heart disease, and joint problems on both sides. We also don't have a very good family history on my side with patience.
But, the journey is often better than the destination. Enjoy every day as a challenge.
You are an incredible son and father and I want you in my life for as long as I live. I love you more than you could ever believe and I want the best for you.
For every pound you lose, you take five pounds of pressure off of your hip, knee and ankle joints. You will feel better with every pound. We are all in this with you, and we will do it together.
Good luck!
I love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

You have started a revolution. I always knew you would. I weighted in tonight for the first time (again) and am on my way with you. I will also being weighing in on Fridays and will let you know how I am doing. However, I am not as brave as you are and I will not be posting my weight online.
Heather stopped over tonight with a fun treat. WW 2 point ice cream bars that were great. She said that she has seen them in your freezer for a while now and they were calling to her. Another fun thing was that she just stopped over. We have not seen each other in a few weeks due to busy life styles and it was fun to have someone just drop by with a healthy treat. Not fun to show her my super meesy house but you can only get so much done in a day! I look forward to reading your blog each day(you are a very talented and entertaining writer) and can not wait for Friday to see the first round of results. Remember - take it slow. Everyone looses weight at a different pace and sometimes your body goes into shock when you change things drastically in your life. Do not live by what the scale says - live by how you feel. Best of luck to you this week.
P.S. Sorry so long....

Anonymous said...

Tony,

So true that it is about the journey and how you feel and progress as you participate in that journey.

Throw the scale out!

You will not need a scale to know that you are winning!!

D

DC Viking said...

You're wrong. That song was about me.