Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Iron Man

No not the metal man of super hero fame or the Black Sabbath song of guitar shredding fame. I am talking about the Iron Man triathlon.

Don't worry, I am not planing on running one any time soon...or ever.

A friend of mine competed in an Iron Man over the weekend and finished 32nd over all. 5th in his age group! He has now qualified for the Koan Iron Man in Hawaii this spring. It has been a dream of his for a long time. It's a dream very few people can achive. Congratulations Anthony! I am in awe of what you have accomplished.

Anthony's amazing feat got me thinking about the number of calories burned during an Iron Man. So I did a little calculating. By my estimates, at my current weight and age, if I were to complete an Iron Man in under 10 hours, I would burn 12961
calories. I know there is no way I would be able to complete an Iron Man at my current weight and age. Heck, I don't think I'd be able to complete an Iron Man at any weight and age. But hyopthetical speaking, 12961 calories in 10 hours? That is insane!

To put it into perspective, last week from Friday to Wednesday I only ate 11261 calories.

So next time you see a triathlete nearing the finish line, don't give them a tiny paper cup filled with water, give them a ham and cheese hoagie with the works. They need it!

Speaking of Iorn Man, check out the Bad Plus version of Iorn Man sometime. You'll be amazed at how well Black Sabbath translates to jazz.

Tony
6/26: 269 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
49 lbs. to go

6 comments:

Em said...

Hey John...Rick posted on my blog last week about my loss, and that is how I found you. Congratulations on taking the big step and good luck. Weight Watchers will get us all sexy skinny!!

Em said...

Well, geesh...long day, huh, John?? I meant to say TONY!! Sorry about that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,
I know how hard it was for you to resist all those good foods on Sunday. Brunch is also my favorite meal. Getting right back to good choices and exercise is very postive. Good luck this week. I am looking forward to grilled yams tomorrow. I never thought I would hear those words from you, "come on over for turkey burgers and grilled yams."
Love Mom

Nato said...

Yum, the Bad Plus.. I diet of that will keep you healthy.

Way cool for Anthony. Very happy for him. I know that was a big deal.

Hehe Laura called me a "guru".. despite the sarcasm, that's gonna go to my head.. =-)

~Nato

ElleTeeJay said...

Sarcastic? Me?

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony, My guess for weight loss on Friday the 6th is 3.5 lbs. Congratulations on your sucess so far. I am so proud of your determination and for inviting the world to join with you on your transformation journey. By the way the work you did on the house looks awsome. I was impressed by how much the two of you got done while keeping tabs on the girls.

Love ya - Sue