Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Back on The Water

It was a busy, busy holiday weekend full of ups and downs. The downs mostly involve the backyard play set we bought for the girls. What was supposed to be an easy afternoon of putting together a simple slide has turned into a major backyard landscaping project, complete with a new retaining wall. At least the digging will be good exercises.

The other down was my parents lake home getting pelleted by baseball size hail. Not fun. But at least the house is still standing.

The ups fortunately far outweighed the downs. Had my all time favorite birthday dinner on Saturday; Ribs, Cheesy Potatoes and corn on the cob. Saw Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull and didn't hate it. Ran a lot. Went for a good aggressive bike ride with my dad.

Best of all I got back on the water.

Memorial weekend is always the unofficial, official start to summer for our family, and part of that tradition is getting in our first ski session of the summer, no matter how cold the water. It was tempting to break with tradition this year. The water was freezing, the air temp was below 70 and the wind was blowing strong. But we jumped in anyway. And let me tell you it felt good.

I managed to salmon ski toward the end of the summer last year, but it took a few tries to get up and I didn't really feel like I was skiing. On Sunday I popped right out of the water on the first try and by the end of my run I was starting to feel some of my old water skiing glory coming back. Not that I was every a great slalom skier, but I could hold my own.

It is such a great feeling to once again be able to do something I love so much. Something I had done all my life until my weight took it away from me. I am feeling the same way about softball. It's like rediscovering all these magical abilities I forgot I had.

It makes me very excited for this summer...assuming summer every gets here. This weeks forecast calls for another week of low 70's and rain. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

At least it looks like I should have a nice bike ride on my lunch break today.

Tony
05/28: 215 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
7 lbs. to go

p.s I got the new Neil Diamond album , Home Before Dark, for my birthday and I am loving it. Check out some of the tracks here. This ain't your Mommas Diamond.

No comments: