Monday, April 7, 2008

The Problem With Binges

So I figured out a problem with my mini binges this weekend......I mean besides the obvious ones like extreme excess calories, weight gain, food addiction, etc.

When I sneak food I always choose really crappy food, and because of it I end I up feeling guilty and unsatisfied.. instead of just guilty. It is the dumbest thing. I know addiction by it's very nature makes us do stupid things and the irrational cravings are just that, irrational...but really you think I could have enough self respect to choose delicious deserts instead of the overly processed sudo-foods I grab from the gas station. It's always the gas station!

I have been having a tough time getting over vacation mode. The end of last week was pretty much a wash on the healthy living front. I only worked out on Thursday and I snacked endlessly. The worst was Friday night. I stopped to get propane for the grill on the way home and somehow ended up with a gas station cookie and thing of zingers in my pocket.

My lovely wife happened to glance at the receipt and called me on my indiscretion. Some wives check for lipstick on the collar, mine checks for chocolate in my mustache.

The whole ugly episode got me thinking. Instead of giving in to these cravings for crappy junk food, I need to save up and treat myself every once and a while to some real treats. Things that are worth the guilt. A slice of pie from Bakers Square, a small Butterfinger blizzard, some deep fried Oreos at our deep fried food party that we planed while at that crazy restaurant on vacation.

Sneaking junk food simply perpetuates my addiction. If I can be open and honest with my treats, I can do away with the guilt and the tummy aches once and for all.

Today starts a new Standoff Week. I have ten pounds to lose and 4 weeks to lose it. Time to buckle down. Somehow I have a feeling it's going to be a tough week. My willpower is weak. I am hoping once my body remembers how good it feels to get off that treadmill that things will start to turn around.

Tony
04/07: 222 lbs
NEW GOAL: 208
14 lbs. to go

5 comments:

ElleTeeJay said...

It's a stand-off for me, too, baby!

We'll plan our menus for the rest of the week tonight so that we can set ourselves up for a big success!

Andrew is getting fit said...

I have a problem with snacking on low quality junk as well. I think the way to overcome this is to build high quality treats into your lifestyle. For example, my wife and I make it a point to go out for a nice coffee and cake every weekend. Quality time for us and cake!

Anonymous said...

My wife caught me with Corn Dogs on the gas receipt a few weeks back. Dang those crispy coated meaty-treats!

Anonymous said...

You should use your debit card and pay at the pump. I know that it is hard not to go into the gas station, I love getting treats while on a roadtrip to Colorado. So, only do it if you are on vacation.
Love Mom

Laura N said...

I completely identify with what you are going through. I've been struggling too, and it sucks. A lot of it is biochemical and not in our control, which just makes it more frustrating. We have to jump the gap and muscle through the cravings until we can turn our bodies around and they start to behave on their own. But when all the sugar is inside us, the body just wants more and it will make us do awful things (like eat Zingers) to get it. Back to eating clean and being on track for all of us!