Sunday, March 16, 2008

Race Day Wrap Up


That is the official "unofficial time". The official time will be closer to 26:55 due to the 5 seconds it took us to get to the starting line after the whistle was blown. Hopefully the official results will be posted later today.

The race went better than I could have ever imagined. The goal was to finish in under 30 minutes. Did that and then some!

26:55 is nearly 2 minutes better than my fastest 5K to date. The adrenalin help some I am sure but what helped even more was having my Dad and my brother-in-law set the pace... and having my Dad right there acting as cheerleader the whole way.

Thanks for the encouragement Dad!

As for the race itself, I felt real good until we finished the second mile. We petty quickly settled into a good pace and passed quite a few people in the first mile and a half. That alone was an awesome feeling, being the one doing the passing instead of the other way around.

At the 1 and 2.5 mile marks there was a huge hill..well it felt huge at the time. I did great coming up the hill the first time around, but that second hill just about killed me.

Luckily just over the top of the hill was all our cheering fans. Seeing everybody there gave me the last little boost I needed to get across the finish line in under 27 minutes.

Thank you guys for coming out and cheering. And thank you to my lovely wife for all her support and encouragement and the lovely sign!

The race was everything I hoped it would be. A celebration of all my accomplishments thus far. A great bonding experience with my dad. A personal achievement I never would have imagined a year ago!

So now the question is, what's next? We'll talk about that tomorrow.

Tony
03/17: 213.6lbs
Goal: 214 lbs. ACCOMPLISHED
NEW GOAL: 208
4.4 lbs. to go

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome time! Way to go. It sounds like a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tony! This was a huge accomplishment! You did it!!!

~Teresa

Laura N said...

Great job! Nice time. I took a picture of my watch, too, when I finished my first 5k last year. How fun.

Anonymous said...

Tony - what a great accomplishment. I am really proud of you. Was there something prophetic about your race number(280-81= 199)?
PS - the family portrait looks great. Thanks