Tuesday, March 18, 2008

So What's Next?

When I woke up on Sunday morning I realized I no longer had a goal. For the last few months my energy has been focused a lot more on training for the 5K and less on worrying about my weight. It's just a nice coincidence that training for a 5K is a good way to drop the pounds.

While I am still actively working to get under 200 pounds, it doesn't feel like a mission anymore. The weight loss is kind of a way of life now. Which is the best possible place to be.

Without a mission, I missed the excitement and passion I was feeling everyday. It took just one day for me to go from fired up to feeling a little lost.

So with a little help from a couple of friends I have come up with a new mission... and I am excited and scared!

On July 20th of this year I am going to compete in the 23rd Annual Heart of The Lakes Triathlon!!!



You read that right, I am doing a triathlon!

Are you shocked? I know I am.

My dad was pretty shocked too. But it took all of a day for him to get over the shock and sign up for the race. So once again we will be doing this together. And Dad, I couldn't be happier!

And my friend Teresa will be doing the long race the same day. So I will have plenty of training buddies.

I will be doing what they call a sprint triathlon. A 1/4 Mile Swim, A 9-Mile Bike and a 2.5 Mile Run.

Never in a million years would I have thought this is something I would try. I don't even own a bike.

But now that I have officially signed up I am so excited! I am excited for the thrill of doing something new, excited to stretch beyond my comfort zone and excited to have a mission again.

First things first, I have to get a bike.


Anybody out there own a bike shop or bike manufacturing company? Do you want to sponsor me?


My second new goal is to get down to 208 by my birthday on May 29th. 208 would mean I have lost a total of 80 pounds.

Welcome to part 2 of my journey. Chapter 2 promises to be just as exciting as the first!


Tony
03/18: 213.6lbs
Goal: 214 lbs. ACCOMPLISHED
NEW GOAL: 208
5.6 lbs. to go

6 comments:

Laura N said...

Crikeys, a tri?! You are the man. Have fun finding a bike. Training for races is the best motivation. You'll do great.

ElleTeeJay said...

Yep...he's crazy. That's why I love him! Go, sweetie, go!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy a triathlon!

I found myself searching for a sprint triathlon here in New Zealand that I could do after reading that! Nooooo!

Damn you! Stop being an inspiration.

Tony said...

Sorry Andrew, I've just gotta be me.

Let me know if you find a race. We can share training tips.

Anonymous said...

Tony, that is super exciting! (And a little intimidating if you ask me!) That should definitely put the excitement back in your every day workout, rock on! Ali

Anonymous said...

Tony - This is such fun news... now I really have to train hard, I don't want to totally be left in the dust!!

~Teresa