Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Habits

Over the last few months I have developed two new habits. These have nothing to do with eating or exercise but they are directly related to the psychology of losing weight.

The first habit started shortly after I started wearing my wedding ring again. Five or six times a day I slide my wedding ring off my finger, just to feel how loose it is. It has gotten to the point were I do it subconsciously while I am talking to people or when I am sitting at my desk writing. I'll be deep in thought and suddenly realize that my ring is off and twirling around in my other hand.

Having my wedding ring fit again was one of the first major symbolic victories of this journey. Sliding it on and off reassures me of how far I have come.

The other habit has a lot more to do with vanity. I find myself constantly running my had down my stomach to feel how flat it is. It's another habit that has become subconscious. I do it all the time when I am standing in line or waiting for someone. Hopefully it looks like I am just straightening my shirt and not fondling my bely button.

Just two more little ways losing weight is changing my life.

Tony
11/6: 220.6 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
.6 lbs. to go

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wearing my ring again was a huge, huge moment for me as well. And now, like yours, it's a bit loose. I also like catching a peek at my reflection when I am walking into stores....I look much thinner than I used to. I think these little victories are HUGE. Great post.

ElleTeeJay said...

Just don't lose that ring, mister. I plan on keeping a hold on you for a long time. :)

Anonymous said...

The ring thing might be a family trait, I do it all the time.
Dad

Exit 465 said...

Just found your blog - good stuff. Congrats on almost reaching your goal! That's fantastic.

I've been doing the same thing since Memorial Day. Started at 375 lbs., been hovering a little under and over 300 for a few weeks now, but I'm feeling very motivated again. I started blogging it for the same reason - accountability. It really works for me (and it's cheaper than therapy!).

You're so right about the ring. I do that all the time. And it's accidentily falling off now. Still waiting to get it resized until I get to my goal of 220, hopefully by next Memorial Day. The coolest thing, though, is walking into about any store now and being able to buy the clothes.

Keep up the good work, and hopefully you'll be there next weigh-in!