Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Britney, America, Glamour Magazine and More Body Image Controversy

I swear I am not on a crusade. I was ready to leave the whole Britney thing alone after yesterdays post. I had said my piece and made my point. And then I opened up Yahoo News and was hit with this headline:
Harshest Words Saved For Britney's Body.

In general it is a poorly written article wrapping up the "she's fat" / "no she's not" reactions to Sunday nights performance. Again I was ready to leave it alone until I saw this quote from Glamour Magazine executive editor-at-large, Suze Yalof Scwhartz.

"Girls aren't looking as skinny this season as they did," said Suze Yalof Scwhartz, executive editor-at-large for Glamour Magazine. "There's food backstage. They're looking sexier." At Glamour, she noted, a model won't be featured "if she shows too much clavicle."

A lovely, yet all together hypocritical sentiment apparently. Recently a few keen observers spread around the blogesphere have noted that Glamour Magazine did an impressive Photoshop job on America Ferrera for their latest cover. Take a look at the pictures and you'll notice her face and arms have been considerably thinned out.


While it does sound like America has lost some weight since the first photo was taken, there is no way those arms are her real arms.

I know Photoshopping covers is a common practice. In fact the company I work for has been asked more than once to Photoshop 10 or 15 lbs. off of a celebrity. It is something we do with no small amount of ridicule for said celebrity.

My ridicule turns to anger however, when a magazine like Glamour feels the need to "tighten up" and digital tone a women like America Farrar, a woman whose career has been built on the idea that every body is beautiful just the way it is.

This is a serious problem. Especially when the editor at large turns around and claims her magazine is part of the solution. Sorry Miss Scwhartz, if you continue practices like this you are just as big a part of the problem... maybe even a bigger part of the problem...than the hundreds of snippy reporters blasting away at Brittney for her paunch.

I now officially retire my soap box. I promise the rest of this week will be all about me.

Tony
9/11: 236.4 lbs.
Goal: 220 lbs.
16.4 lbs. to go

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to send off the last two blogs to the Star and Tribune and have it published on its opinion page. I wonder if they would print it.
Well done Tony, I'm proud of you.
Love Mom

ElleTeeJay said...

Spot on, sweetie...spot on. [BIG SMOOCH!]

ElleTeeJay said...

Sorry...couldn't resist one more comment. You mention her face and arms...look at her neck!

Em said...

Right on, Tony. I hope that my niece grows up to love her body, because I never did...and your post is exactly why.

Also, look at America's beautiful lovely lady hips. And then look at the Glamour cover. Sad...so very sad. I love her gorgeous body and it's just too bad that society can't love it as well.

Unknown said...

Aren't you and your coworkers kind of part of the problem if you ridicule celebrities for "needing" to have 10-15 lbs. Photoshopped away? The only reason some people think an image like America's would benefit from photoshopping is because we don't even know what a real person looks like anymore, what with the only using skinny models, airbrushing or photoshopping anyone who isn't skeletal enough, etc. I don't really mean this harshly but by sort of agreeing that the celebs you are "editing" look bad, aren't you contributing to the idea that a real person can never look good enough to be on a cover?

Tony said...

Jennifer,

I should have explained better. I work in advertising, mostly doing package design and promotions for a major food company.

Often we will do a promotion that is endorsed by some celebrity. It is the celebrities themselves that ask us to Photoshop their images...or at least their handlers. I very much wish we could refuse but we are pretty low on the totem pole.

Internally my co-workers and I make fun of these celebrities because their vanity is so great that they can't be happy with who they are. Even when the photos are well done professional shots taken by their own photographer.