Friday, February 22, 2008

The Wife Weighs In...Week 20

Happy Friday, GHMIW fans!

So, I had a small gain this week.

It was absolutely to be expected. I ate horribly from Friday through Sunday afternoon. I had Chipotle for lunch on Friday, worked (very) late that night and had deep-fried appetizers and a bloody mary or two with a co-worker afterwards. On Saturday, I had swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for lunch at Ikea and pizza for dinner.

Then, there was the blow-out at a Sunday brunch family gathering...egg bakes, cheesey potatoes (one of my biggest "red flag" foods), Tony's grandmother's homemade doughnuts, and some sort of wonderfully sticky and gooey french toast in a pan.

Yum.

Come to think of it...I'm surprised I didn't have a bigger gain.

I kicked it back into gear on Monday. Yoga on Monday night and cardio on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Unfortunately, I slept through my alarm both this morning and Wednesday morning. The extra sleep was nice, but I really could have used those extra workouts.

You see, I really need to break through this plateau. For the last seven weeks, I have been trapped in a three-pound range. 189.4 at the top, and last week's 186.4 at the bottom. Given all the success I've had over the last year (almost), I find it frustrating that I'm having so much trouble sucking it up and doing what I need to do to power through this plateau. Grrr.

Maybe I'm stuck in a rut created by the winter blahs. Maybe I need to remember the words of support I got from Laura N a couple of weeks ago: "Hang in there... spring is around the corner, when all things bloom and become new, including our ability to lose more weight." I can only hope.

On a positive note...at least I'm not gaining the ten pounds I have traditionally put on each winter.

So, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day." I hope to be able to keep it together throughout the weekend so that I'm not starting my week off at a disadvantage. Wish me luck!

Until next week!
Laura (a.k.a. Elle Tee Jay)

2/15/08: 186.4 pounds
2/22/08: 187.0 pounds (a gain of 0.6 pounds)
Total loss: 41.4 pounds
Next goal: 182.0 pounds (5.0 pounds to go)

1 comment:

Laura N said...

Sometimes those small gains are a blessing--it could have been a lot worse. =) Everybody has off weeks like that, esp. in the winter time. Like you said, it's not the usual 10 pounds. That's a big victory.

Yeah, that plateau is frustrating as all get out. Sorry to give unasked for advice, but here goes anyway. When you've got it in you (meaning, no big events or other stressful things going on) you might try a couple days of limiting your carbs to just veggies and fruit. Eat lean protein and veggies at every meal, and have a couple pieces of fruit for snacks (oranges & apples & pears are best), and avoid every other carb (bread, milk, etc). Drink tons of water. If you do that for two days, it will jump start your loss. It will be really hard--I used to do something similar on LA Weight Loss and I felt like I had zero energy while doing it--but it will work. It's not a permanent change, just something temporary to trick your body into letting go of some of that weight it's insisting you hang on to. LAWL let us do this 2 day thing every 2 weeks, if we were stalled. I did it a few times and it did jump start my loss each time.

Your exercise is going great, so keep that up!

Hope you have a great weekend.