Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Buffalo Triathalon Wrap Up


This past Sunday I finished my 3rd Triathlon, the first of 3 triathlons I'm doing this summer.



Saturday night I went to sleep thinking Sunday was going to be miserable. The weather was predicated to be in the very low 50's and rainy. Not great weather for jumping out of a cold lake and hopping on a bike wet.

Turns out it was only slightly miserable. It was mid 50's and just kind of drizzly. In the long run the weather was kind of fun...except the stupid wind...but I'll get to that in a minute.

The crummy weather kind of inspired even more commeradery then usual in the racers. I can't tell you the number of times someone out on the course would shout encouragement at me. Just random people who knew exactly what I was going through. And there were still a ton of spectators there to cheer everyone on.


The Results:

overall place: 645 out of 878
division place: 79 out of 90
gender place: 438 out of 541
time: 1:38:47
swim: 8:04
transition 1: 4:41
bike: 52:17
transition 2: 2:48
run: 31:00




I am just a little disappointed in my results. I really wanted to come in under an hour and a half. My bike and my transitions are what killed me. The bike had a lot of up hill sections that just happened to be into the wind. The combo kind of sapped a lot of my energy.



I'm really happy with my swim though. I shaved nearly a minute off my time from my first race last year. Unfortunately I spent so much energy on the swim that I was really dragging coming out of the water.







So I'm considering this my warm up race for the season, and I'm putting all my efforts into beating last years time for my next race at the end of July.


This was a great race for swag too! We got a t-shirt, a visor, a metal water bottle, a plastic bike water bottle, a full meal, and a medal when we crossed the finish line.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so proud of you. We'll be there to cheer you on for the next one. I hope the weather is better.
Love Mom

Ron said...

WTG! Great pics! I can't even imagine competing in one of these!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Awesome effort!

You look absolutely bushed coming out of the water!

I'm going to have to do a triathlon one day!